b r o o k l y n t w e e d
7.07.2006
  Progress
My long weekend was wonderful. We BBQ-d, spent long nights drinking on our balcony, saw fireworks, took warm midnight walks around Brooklyn, and of course, I got a decent amount of knitting in here and there. It wasn't the marathon-knitting weekend I had planned - the heat-induced laziness has definitely taken its toll - but it was summer-y in every way possible, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I started Demi last week and spent most of my knitting time indulging myself with cables galore. Although, I did finally take the plunge and throw a finished piece of Raspy in the washer for the final test. I am very happy to report that Sleeve #1 emerged from the dryer meeting exactly my planned measurements. Exhibit A:

Sleeve Post-Shrink
...with flying colors

To say I felt smug is an understatement... ha! Talk about satisfaction! The fabric becomes denser after washing, and my only worry is that, because my prototype is a finer weight fabric, the finished Raspy may be a little too thick for my chosen fit. It may not be perfect, but I think it will still be fine. Maybe I should have planned a bit more ease to account for the fabric density, but oh well. I'm sure it will work itself out in the end. I'm still enjoying the fact that it matches the lines/proportions of the prototype perfectly.

And I thought I might as well give you a progress shot of Demi. I can't stop staring and groping it. This isn't a sweater. It's sculpture! This is honestly how I feel - I dont even care if I wear it, I'll just hang it on the wall and admire!

Demi Progress 1
side panel - i love this cable.

Some of you have inquired whether or not I am knitting Demi for myself or for someone else? This one, my friends, is for me. I've changed all the central cable panels (the ones with bobbles) and taken out the waist shaping. Simple changes to the cables, are actually giving the sweater quite a different look. I'm also knitting it in the round [the cable panel you see above is the side of the sweater and will be the panel located under the arm] I'll be changing proportions, mainly body/sleeve length and armhole depth. Adding some nice rustic wooden buttons and I think it'll be a unique piece. But we'll just have to see. Its definitely the thickest and warmest sweater I've ever knit. But as I said before, this one is 100% about the process. And i'm loving working on it. So whatever it turns out to be, I know its worth the time.

I'm spending the day cleaning and organizing, making art and then working on Demi (with constant coffee intake). I have another exciting weekend ahead, but I'll tell you more about that later. Knitters of the world: Godspeed!
 
Comments:

Loving the Demi. With all those changes, does that make it a semi Demi?

Oh oh oh...Demi is dreamy gorgeous. Soo tweedy and chocolaty, yum.

Hope Raspy turns out just perfect. :D

Awesome, I can't wait to see how your Demi turns out! I'm still to chicken to alter any patterns like that.

Mmmm...demi. makes me want to pull mine out and have another go at it. I love your mods!

wow, those are some AWESOME cables.. good idea on all of the cable changes. i think that it'll come out looking manly enough :)

Demi looks good enough to eat! I think I need some of that yarn...

I'm pleased that Raspy matches its prototype! Demi looks great, too!

I love it when a plan comes together! I have the pics of my Denim sweater up in case you need/want further inspiration.

Demi is gorgeous. Your enthusiasm for it makes it even more so.

I like the fact that you don't let the lack of good male patterns stop you. It's good to see men knit and knit with confidence.

Jarrett is gorgeous...very nicely done. The finishing is so detailed - I love it. The picture of Demi's cables look good enough to eat. A big chocolate cookie...yum.

The sweater that I knitted with Rowan Denim, many years ago now, was very dense after shrinking, so much so that it was a bit hot to wear: it didn't 'breathe' much. So maybe you don't want to have Raspy too neat-fitting. If I ever knit with the Denim again - and I am very, very tempted by Raspy - I would make it a bit airy. Definitely no tight cuffs or close-fitting ribbing.

Your freaking brilliant......I love the cable modification. Where DO you come up with all these ideas. Keep it up my man!

De-lurking to say, "Where have you been all my knitting life?!"

Such artistry should rightly be applauded.

Demi is looking so gorgeous! Simply beautiful.

Lucious! You're making me drool again.

your demi looks cool. I want to see what the center panel looks like. :)

Wow....that's really the only thing I could say.

i love how the demi ribbing feeds perfectly into the cables.

and nice going on the raspy sleeve. i know you're a little concerned about weight but really, what's knitting without the continual process of learning and improving? i agree with you -- the fact that it's sized perfectly is a real score.

I say go ahead and feel smug about it - it is great when precise planning works out!

I really love the cables on Demi. Looking great so far!

Sounds like a fabulous relaxing weekend - those are the best. And goodness gracious, Demi is just divine. Looks like delicious smooth chocolate. Yum.

I swore off Rowan some time back: too many joins in the skeins; discontinued yarns etc. However your interpretations are having me rethink! Jarrett just looks so comfy I want to resize it me (small) and I will be eagerly watching the progress of Demi. Lovely work.

Sorry, didn't mean to be anonymous! Name is Wendy.

Dang, Demi looks good! Those cables look perfect.

I fell in love with Demi...and that's just from your photo.

I think it's going to be an amazing sweater.

I can't do a cable pattern without tweaking it. And bobbles...never a good thing (in my opinion).

It does look like a sculpture, I just want to reach out and touch it
Post a Comment



<< Home

Back to BT Headquarters
Connect.
My Book.
Original Designs.
Completed Woolies.
Subscribe.
Fresh Thoughts.
Archives.
10.2005 / 11.2005 / 12.2005 / 01.2006 / 02.2006 / 03.2006 / 04.2006 / 05.2006 / 06.2006 / 07.2006 / 08.2006 / 09.2006 / 10.2006 / 11.2006 / 12.2006 / 01.2007 / 02.2007 / 03.2007 / 04.2007 / 05.2007 / 06.2007 / 07.2007 / 08.2007 / 09.2007 / 10.2007 / 11.2007 / 12.2007 / 01.2008 / 02.2008 / 03.2008 / 04.2008 / 05.2008 / 06.2008 / 07.2008 / 08.2008 / 09.2008 / 10.2008 / 11.2008 / 12.2008 / 01.2009 / 02.2009 / 03.2009 / 04.2009 / 05.2009 / 06.2009 / 07.2009 / 08.2009 / 09.2009 / 10.2009 / 11.2009 / 12.2009 / 01.2010 / 02.2010 / 03.2010 / 04.2010 / 05.2010 /



Search The Tweed.
text and photography copyright © 2005-2009 brooklyntweed
all rights reserved