b r o o k l y n t w e e d
6.01.2008
  Shifting Sands
This one has been a long time coming, but I think it was worth it.

Shifting Sands (by b r o o k l y n t w e e d)

Pattern: Shifting Sands Scarf by Grumperina [*via Ravelry]
Materials: Malabrigo Pure Worsted Merino in "Frank Ochre"
Amount: 2 hanks; 430 yds/200g
Needles: US 9/5.5 mm straight Clovers
Finished Dimensions: 65" long, 6" wide

Start Date: November 2006
Finish Date: November 2007 (shameful I know)

Shifting Sands (by b r o o k l y n t w e e d)

This is one of those projects that sat in my basket and got a lot of short-term play, off and on over the course of a year: bus trips, flights, waiting rooms, etc. It inched along slow and steady but I finally knit up all the yarn sometime last Fall. As for why it took so long to get blog play, I can't be sure, although it might have something to do with all the wearing that was happening in the colder months. Malabrigo users know how neck-friendly this stuff is!

Shifting Sands (by b r o o k l y n t w e e d)

Modifications: The pattern is written for a sport weight yarn but is easily modified for any weight you'd like. The pattern repeat is 5 sts wide, so any multiple of 5+2 (two selvage sts) will work. I cast on 42 stitches, rather than the 52 suggested by the pattern, and knit until I ran out of yarn. The other mod I tested out was a hem on either end of the scarf to combat the natural curling of the fabric. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - you can see the hem in the previous photo.

Here's what I did: I cast on 15% less stitches with a provisional cast on, knit one row, knit one row increasing evenly across the work to 42, worked a turning row using *k1, sl1* across, work one row stockinette, work first pattern row and continue scarf as written to end. I tacked down the loose stitches after all was said and done, but you could easily knit the hem together with the 3rd row of pattern for a super-clean join.

As for the hem on the other side, it's basically the reverse order of the previous instructions: work last cable row, knit one row, knit turning row (k1, sl1 across), decrease 15% of sts evenly across next row (I decreased 5 or 6 sts), knit 2 rows and tack down loose stitches invisibly to back of fabric. Press the edges with a steam iron to get good-hem-behavior and a nice finished look.

Shifting Sands (by b r o o k l y n t w e e d)

I have a finished sweater and a finished blanket to share with you in the next couple posts. The summer heat might be here, but my wool addiction is stronger than any weather condition. Bring on the summer sweater knitting!

 
Comments:

incredible work. the color of this yarn is breathtaking and the design is simply brilliant!

It's absolutely gorgeous.

I have been waiting for this beauty for a long time. Now it is finally here!!! You did a great job as always Jared. LOVE IT!

I so adore this scarf..interplay of colour and texture is just brilliant..

Fabulous. The colorway is soothing and the hem is just what it needed. I don't like fringe on a scarf (looks ratty most of the time, IMHO) and this really did the trick. You have a glorious hand with fiber.

That is just beautiful! I love the hem idea, too.

Best yellow ever.

And the beauty of the scarf just takes it to the next level.

Lovely. I am soldiering away on the Flared Lace Smoke Ring after seeing yours. Thanks! [I think.]

Nice work! I tried to make this scarf last year, and it was so tedious, I gave it up. This makes me want to try it again, with your modifications.
It blocked so nicely, and the colors are great too.

Beautiful ! Very good job !

Not being a person who usually likes yellow, this is gorgeous to me! I remember you starting this awhile back because I also started one. Now, I need to finish mine too! Wonderful photography. Terry

it is a great scarf. i love ochre, always did, and the pattern looks great in malabrigo. i am really looking forward to seeing your other projects. i have this love of wool as you describe too, and i sit in the park everyday working on a heavy weight aran. doesn't really feel all that warm. i don't really like working with cotton and i don't like the way it becomes stiff as a foot file after a few washes.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Your extra stitches for the selvedge, are you slipping the last stitch on the row, and then knitting through the back loop on the way back?

very fine.
I'm just about to start this, so thank you for the mod tips

Delicious - and that color! thanks for being so detailed about the hem mod - must make a note of that.

I'm with you - we must knit the warm woolies before we need them; it just makes good sense.

That is gorgeous. All of it - the pattern, the yarn, the color. And of course, the photographs.

We should leave supportive comments at the Malabrigo site. I went there to check out the yarn and there had been a fire at their facility on May 29th. They've lost up to 500 kilos of yarn, but plan to get up and running with the dyeing operation at another location soon. There is insurance, but, as the owner pointed out, that's nothing compared to work required to start sending out orders again.

The scarf is beautiful.

Its glorious!

You are an amazing photographer! Your scarf is beautiful and your photography certainly does it justice! I'm a big fan of yours :) Gina

Hi jarred from new york!!!! you'r a great knitter! i'm impressed...... and you spin too?

congratulation!

milouson
http://milouson.canalblog.com

More kudos - great color/yarn/pattern pairing and as always, photographs to inspire. Thank you.

Jared, your scarf is lovely but you always do wonderful work. I check your site daily for more interesting knitting from you. I thik that all knitters have a small project that we whip out to work on in short spirts. I just completed a scarf that I began two years ago.

It was your Shifting Sands project on Ravelry that inspired me to attempt the same variation (knit with Malabrigo with fewer stitches). The hem idea was smart...I didn't think of doing anything to the ends and mine curls a lot.

I made one of these shortly after seeing your first post about starting this scarf and was thinking about another - now that I see your hem mods I'm even more motivated.

I am going to need a new scarf for next winter and this one is just so pretty. I'll have to add it to my que. Gorgeous, by the way.

I hear ya on the summer wool love. I feel a blanket phase coming on! By the way, I called you out today, thinking you, of all folks, might be the one to expand the cowl craze into male-dom...

So nice...

love the colour, love the stitches, love the scarf! I wouldn't worry that it took a while to complete, the best things always do. I don't bother about the summer heat & knitting,if i feel a pair of socks or a sweater begging to be created then so be it and hang the seasons, the weather and all

This scarf is what attracted me to your blog in the first place. I actually bought the Malabrigo sometime ago to make this, then I forgot all about it. . .until now! Gorgeous! I can't wait to see the blanket!

Your scarf is beautiful. I have looked at Grumperina's wonderful pattern many times and keep it in my mental "to do" list--when I feel my skills are up for it.

-Cis

Right, have been looking for a herringbone-esque scarf...this will do quite nicely. Well done.

Really lovely, but I always enjoy your work...knitting and photography. Having flattered you, TAG! You're it. Visit my blog www.kvetchingup.blogspot.com and curse me for dragging you in. LOL

Beautiful color and design and with the art of photography ......just stunning.

That is really lovely. It almost looks woven.

beth (big geek)

Gorgeous, as many simple things are. This one's going into my queue (drat). I like your choice of color.

I queued it up a while back when I saw it on Ravelry :-) LOVELY!

I made this with some leftover Chasing Rainbows I had (and immediately gifted it). I should make one for me. Goodness knows I'll wear a malabrigo scarf until the cows come home.

the scarf looks GREAT. had contemplated doing the shifting sands pattern over fewer stitches myself, so good to see how someone else's turned out. thanks for sharing all your edits.

p.s. enjoy reading your blog

thanks for the inspiration. christmas gifts may actually be ON TIME this year! cheers.

Jared,

I'm always in awe of you! You are incredibly talented with yarn and film. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us via your blog. You are my inspiration. I keep working at knitting techniques but have a far, far way to go.....thank you!!!

Thank you for positing the modifications. Moments ago, I finished my Shifting Sands using your suggestions. Thank you!
Post a Comment



<< Home

Back to BT Headquarters
Connect.
My Book.
Original Designs.
Completed Woolies.
Subscribe.
Fresh Thoughts.
Archives.
10.2005 / 11.2005 / 12.2005 / 01.2006 / 02.2006 / 03.2006 / 04.2006 / 05.2006 / 06.2006 / 07.2006 / 08.2006 / 09.2006 / 10.2006 / 11.2006 / 12.2006 / 01.2007 / 02.2007 / 03.2007 / 04.2007 / 05.2007 / 06.2007 / 07.2007 / 08.2007 / 09.2007 / 10.2007 / 11.2007 / 12.2007 / 01.2008 / 02.2008 / 03.2008 / 04.2008 / 05.2008 / 06.2008 / 07.2008 / 08.2008 / 09.2008 / 10.2008 / 11.2008 / 12.2008 / 01.2009 / 02.2009 / 03.2009 / 04.2009 / 05.2009 / 06.2009 / 07.2009 / 08.2009 / 09.2009 / 10.2009 / 11.2009 / 12.2009 / 01.2010 / 02.2010 / 03.2010 / 04.2010 / 05.2010 /



Search The Tweed.
text and photography copyright © 2005-2009 brooklyntweed
all rights reserved