b r o o k l y n t w e e d
6.24.2006
  one sleeve closer to victory
after 2 horribly frustrating attempts to get the perfect set-in sleeve (1st attempt - following the pattern, 2nd attempt - tearing out some length and trying to fudge it into an acceptable fit) i knew i needed to take drastic measures. if i didn't, i knew i'd be eternally unhappy with 'settling' for something less than great. so i've taken a completely new approach and come up with a solution that pleases me:

Shoulder Success 1
graciously modelled by my short-armed roommate

i tore the entire cap out, burned the pattern specifications and took the top-down route (are you seeing a pattern here?). this is the first time i've knit a set-in sleeve (cap) top down, and definitely not the last. it worked perfectly and was interesting enough to get me excited about knitting on jarrett again (now lets see if its interesting enough to keep me motivated to do sleeve #2 in a timely fashion...).

Sleeve Cap Grafting
grafting top-down cap with live stitches of knitted sleeve

a quick explanation - first i picked up stitches around the armhole, working short rows to shape the cap until i was ready to attatch the pre-existing sleeve, which had been torn down to the armhole and had live stitches waiting for me to graft them onto the new cap. grafting wasn't wildly exciting, but i love the results.

we'll see if i can get myself to do it all over again on the second sleeve this weekend. mind you, the second sleeve has already been seamed in with pre-existing (flawed) cap. it means ripping a lot more than i may have patience for, but i'll probably at least start it tonight.

[this weekend-post brought to you by my apartment's internet connection which was finally restored by time-warner this afternoon (after extensive amounts of phone harrassment)]
 
Comments:

Impressive. I've knit top down sleeves many times - mostly because I like knitting in the round and have a fear of fitting in sleeves, but I've never done cap shaping like that. Did you work it all out and then start knitting, or did you sort of feel your way as you went?

Effort well-spent (easy for me to say). Your sweater is a beauty!

I didn't know it's possible to knit a sleeve "top-down"... It doesn't seem very easy (many calculations to do, isn't it ?!) but the result is really good.

Good luck for the second one !

I can only hope that someday I will come back and read this and actually understand it.

Whatever voodoo knitting thing you did looks great!

Back to reading it again.

The yarn is fantastic, as are the photographs. (Courtesy of the new lense?)
You are such a perfectionist, and it shows in the results.

This is interesting. I have never done this. I understand short rows to a point...like toes and heels in socks...but I haven't wrapped my brain around anything other than that. Boy, a play by play of the next sleeve would be great to see. Hint, Hint.

Nice. looks like it fits great from that angle. That second sleeve is why I learned to seam in a color/fiber differant from the original. Easy Ripping.

Wow, that is very brave of you.

So, from what you're saying, let me try and understand. You picked up around the armhole, which is not exactly a square outline and then short rowed until it is straight and perpendicular to the exsisting sleeve? Am I understanding what you did right? And if it worked, heh, I might even give it a try.

Very impressive. Looks great! I can't quite comprehend how you figured all that out - I am in awe.

first of all, great job on the sleeve! good for you for taking it on your own and showing it who's boss. sometimes you just gotta take that pattern as a "suggestion" instead of the last word and testament :)

second, the new lens is kicking major butt.

third, sorry i forgot to mention it earlier, but all good communication with TWC can happen if you threaten to sick the NY public service commission on them. never forget that TWC is a regulated agency and does not like to be audited. seriously, if you mention the PSC to them, they get really anxious to work it out quick!

http://www.dps.state.ny.us/consumer_assist.html

consider this to be your ammunition next time you're in trouble and they can't give you an appointment within three to five days :)

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/FEATwin05TBP.html

Take a look at knitty, the winter 05 issue, part three (& two and one) on sleeves. Maybe the next time around - but this time? Sleeves look great! Thanks for sharing a great solution. Terry

Oh the wait was well worth it... glorious photography!

Yay! It sure looks nice! Glad things are working out.

Wow Jared, prett serious stuff there! But it looks great, of course! I can't even begin to wrap my head around working the short rows on the sleeve AND doing it top down.

UGH! I hate set-in sleeves! All raglan all the time for me.

Drew

Looks kinda familiar...

I really love the tweedy color of the sweater, and I have to say you are a brave person to attempt such knitting voodoo...

I have yet to completely knit something with set in sleeves- I have only knitted raglans or top-down yoke sweaters chiefly because I have bad finishing skills....

great photograph, that yarn is so beutiful all knit up, some yarn is just meant for stst!

Good for you, it works well, and then no bulky seamed tog parts.
Post a Comment



<< Home

Back to BT Headquarters
Connect.
My Book.
Original Designs.
Completed Woolies.
Subscribe.
Fresh Thoughts.
Archives.
10.2005 / 11.2005 / 12.2005 / 01.2006 / 02.2006 / 03.2006 / 04.2006 / 05.2006 / 06.2006 / 07.2006 / 08.2006 / 09.2006 / 10.2006 / 11.2006 / 12.2006 / 01.2007 / 02.2007 / 03.2007 / 04.2007 / 05.2007 / 06.2007 / 07.2007 / 08.2007 / 09.2007 / 10.2007 / 11.2007 / 12.2007 / 01.2008 / 02.2008 / 03.2008 / 04.2008 / 05.2008 / 06.2008 / 07.2008 / 08.2008 / 09.2008 / 10.2008 / 11.2008 / 12.2008 / 01.2009 / 02.2009 / 03.2009 / 04.2009 / 05.2009 / 06.2009 / 07.2009 / 08.2009 / 09.2009 / 10.2009 / 11.2009 / 12.2009 / 01.2010 / 02.2010 / 03.2010 / 04.2010 / 05.2010 /



Search The Tweed.
text and photography copyright © 2005-2009 brooklyntweed
all rights reserved