b r o o k l y n t w e e d
6.18.2008
  New Yarns. New Blobs.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for all of your kind words on the past few posts. It's fun to finally get all this knitting out there, as its been piling up somethin' fierce throughout the spring. I'm psyched that so many of you are getting the itch to knit big garter-y blankets. Good timing too, they'll be done just in time for fall. And in case you missed it, I updated the last post with a link to a picture of the full blanket (check the very last lines of the post).

Now that we've cleared the air of the finished knitting, I can get back to babbling on about all the many random things that are running around unfinished. I'll continue to ignore the projects whose lengthy hibernation hasn't yet ended, if it ever does. (Scott, Scott? Where are you?)

I've been hit with a fresh new wave of sweater-knitting-fever, and have had a couple of absolutely wonderful yarns stashed and waiting for a time just like this. The most important of them are the following:

Merry Christmas to Me (by b r o o k l y n t w e e d)

A big batch of hand dyed yarn from Sundara. I procured 10 skeins of this unbelievable red last Christmas (self-love Christmas presents are great, aren't they?) and have been thinking about it all year. It's her (sadly now discontinued) worsted merino semi-solid, and I've finally found a worthy use for it.

I've started Meg Swansen's Spiral Yoke Pullover, a sweater that has been on my list for a long time and is, I think, a great match for the yarn.

Sleeves Are Done (by b r o o k l y n t w e e d)

In a rare display of self-restraint, I actually knit the sleeves first this time. Something I should do more often, because when you're as excited as I am about a certain yoke pattern, you don't want to stop for anything once you reach the underarms.

The other stash jewel that I've been coveting to work with is a big batch of Queensland Kathmandu Aran Tweed that I snagged from the WEBS sale this year. Chocolatey, tweedy, woolen spun, and soft (cashmere, silk, merino, thanks) - I'll knit you any day.

Kathmandu <span class=

The nameless blob seen below? Yep, you guessed it - another seamless sweater. You'd think I'd tire of 'em, but I can just never get enough. (I guess this is the same syndrome sock-knitters are plagued with, right? There can never be enough handknits to cover your feet?)

This is a design of my own that I've been itching to realize for some time and hopefully will. Don't hold me to it, though. Designs always have a lifespan of their own.

Tweed Blob (by b r o o k l y n t w e e d)

I'm off to Virginia early in the morning to teach at the Purl Jam over the weekend. If you're signed up for some of my classes, I'll see you there! BT e-mail response times over the weekend will be delayed, as a result, but I'll surely be fielding double-time when I return. Until then!
 
Comments:

This comment has been removed by the author.

That red is absolutely amazing! So is that awesome chocolate-y tweed... so. jealous.

your photos always make me want to go get myself some tweed and knit up a sweater!

What a rich, lush red color. I can almost taste it. I always fall for rich colors like that.

inspiring....

That red! Wow!!

Have fun at Purl Jam! My friend Lynn is going to be in your class! I'm jealous!

That Queensland Kathmandu is my new favorite yarn for sure. I can't wait to see how you'll use it. I'm thinking my DK supply should go towards an EZ sweater. And the Sundara looks so sleek and wonderful to work with! Have fun at Purl Jam!

Be still my beating heart, I have a serious crush on that red.

And I hope we eventually get to see the Kathmandu sweater design...

Wish I was nearer Virginia. Have a great time!

ohmigosh it is so gorgeous!

What an absolutely gorgeous red!

This red is so amazing ! Beautiful beautiful color !!

this is a wonderfull colour

oh you must finish a new design Jared, the cobblestone is perfect though, can you improve on it? Love the look and colours of both the jumpers you are making right now.

Please let us in on the secret to your prodigious and inspiringly beautiful output. How many hours do you log daily knitting?

I have just recently discovered you and your talents. The knitting AND the photography are breathtaking. Thanks for your inspiration!

That Queensland Kathmandu looks suspiciously like the Elann Cashlana (that was a special edition yarn ) which I hoarded 3 sweaters worth last year. Sadly it's not available anymore. I think I've gotten the itch to break it out. Thanks a ton Mr. Brooklyn Tweed, my sock knitting summer may have been seduced away by the tweedy goodness. (really that is in no way a bad thing).

I knit my Mother a sweater in the same Queensland yarn...great yarn to work with and the results are terrific.
Now that Sundara yarn is making me see red. And I want it! LOL

I swear, you could make even acrylic look gorgeous.

How do you manage to take such great pictures of red?! Amazing...

What's also amazing is that you manage to take a whole bunch of knitting stitches that look JUST LIKE everyones else's and yet somehow yours are more... sexy!

So jealous of your wonderful talent ;)

I'm so incredibly jealous of that red! It's just the most perfect red ever created. You are one very lucky man and I can't wait to see your progress!

I have been able to think of nothing but that great big blanket and have already placed my order for the yarn. It's going to make a great wedding gift if I can finish it in time.

That red! I don't know if I've seen a more beautiful red. Stunning.

I love the red and can't wait to see the sweater!

I also bought some of that Queensland Kathmandu Aran at the Webs sale, and I LOVE it. Of course, I'm knitting what has become a blob (unwieldy sweater in one piece) and it's no longer so portable and therefore not so easy for me to finish. But I still love the yarn! I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

As much as I enjoy both your writing and your knitting, what keeps me coming back to read your blog time after time is your fantastic photography. What do you shoot with? Stunning. You do an excellent job of showing off all of your talents!

Fess up: that's a tubular cast on on the red sweater, isn't it?
That ribbing looks so regular I almost feel like licking it.

Jared, you have to be the very best 'knitter' I've ever seen, and I soooooo wish I could knit as well as you do! Your work is absolutely beautiful!! I've only been knitting about 2 years. I do scarves and hats - so far! I also wish I lived close enough to take classes from you!! Where I live, there aren't many places that actually offer a good knitting class anymore! Do you have any book selections I might try for improving my skills or techniques? I'm knitting continental. Thank you!!

Wow, that red is gorgeous. Makes me want to dye some yarn right away. I think I'll make a red cardigan for my sweetie...ciao

Yes, the thing about Sundara's yarn, is that it's around so briefly, that you if you blink, it will be gone. Glad you grabbed 10 skeins! I can't wait to see the sweater.

Someone else has asked about the tubular cast on, but that is my question too. And, if so, can you give us mortals some hints? I've read the tutorials, had some mild success, but yours is perfectly beautiful.

Great job on all of it -- knitting, photography, blogging. I always look forward to your posts.

Delurking from a longtime fan. I can't wait to see how the sweaters turn out (that red!) and I hope you have a great time at Purl Jam. Thank you for sharing your amazing talent with us.

Jared you are a wonderful young man and I really enjoyed your class and enjoyed getting to see the finished red sweater which was just beautiful. Thanks for coming out and teaching us.

I've been lurking on your blog for a few months now and wanted to make my presence known. Your talent inspires me (a new knitter) and your photographs are simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing your gifts online.

Holli

Olá Jared.Hoje pela primeira vez entrei em seu blog.Te confeço que achei lindo o seu trabalho.Apesar de não falar inglês, me encantei com as fotos.Parabéns, e talvez copie alguma coisa... se você nào se importar.Um grande beijo.Izabel Cristina.Campo Grande-MS.BRASIL.(izabel-moreschi@ig.com.br)

the tubular cast on is so great. it makes the knitting look so pro, as if it didn't do that already. and i get curious about all the yarns. what are they like. sometimes i feel i live in a soviet republic when it comes to yarn. i love tweed, of course, but it has to be very coarse like skye tweed. and it is not possible to tell from any picture.
i hope you had fun teaching...

Wow! And wow again! So many beautiful projects - so much (in the purely positive good-for-you sense) envy!

YAY that Autumn is approaching, when we can all shamelessly flaunt our wool in public! LOVE that deep Autumny red.

Heard your interview on Sticks and String.
Cool! But you don't sound like a Brooklynite.

I just found you and I love your work, don't know which is better the knitting or the photography.

Yes, where did Scott disappear to?!

I recently finished mine this past winter, and was very pleased with the results. Husband loved wearing it as a jacket. Check out my ravelry page for the FO.

That red is beautiful.

That red is just calling to me - so rich! I love that there is gorgeous knitting in the background of your photos of your gorgeous knitting.

From indications around the blogosphere, Purl Jam was a hit - congrats!

Aaah I just finished a sweater with this yarn, it was really dreamy to knit with!

I've fallen in love with the Kathmandu tweed. When you knit it to a larger gauge than the tag recommends, you end up with an amazingly light (but not holey!) fabric. hope the seamless design works well.
Post a Comment



<< Home

Back to BT Headquarters
Connect.
My Book.
Original Designs.
Completed Woolies.
Subscribe.
Fresh Thoughts.
Archives.
10.2005 / 11.2005 / 12.2005 / 01.2006 / 02.2006 / 03.2006 / 04.2006 / 05.2006 / 06.2006 / 07.2006 / 08.2006 / 09.2006 / 10.2006 / 11.2006 / 12.2006 / 01.2007 / 02.2007 / 03.2007 / 04.2007 / 05.2007 / 06.2007 / 07.2007 / 08.2007 / 09.2007 / 10.2007 / 11.2007 / 12.2007 / 01.2008 / 02.2008 / 03.2008 / 04.2008 / 05.2008 / 06.2008 / 07.2008 / 08.2008 / 09.2008 / 10.2008 / 11.2008 / 12.2008 / 01.2009 / 02.2009 / 03.2009 / 04.2009 / 05.2009 / 06.2009 / 07.2009 / 08.2009 / 09.2009 / 10.2009 / 11.2009 / 12.2009 / 01.2010 / 02.2010 / 03.2010 / 04.2010 / 05.2010 /



Search The Tweed.
text and photography copyright © 2005-2009 brooklyntweed
all rights reserved