b r o o k l y n t w e e d
4.11.2006
  down with the sickness
i've gone too far this time. i'm sick with a rabid case of starting syndrome. i've started way too many projects recently, especially considering the number of WIP's in the big basket at the foot of my bed.... but how can i resist with all these great yarn bargains i've been scoring? [for the record: i've cut myself off from ebay and knitpicks purchasing for at least 1 month. if not longer.] its a sickness i tell you!

so last time you were introduced to the Urban Aran. well, i've completed the back piece (pictured below) and started working on the front two pieces. i'm working both left and right front pieces on the same circular needle in an attempt to get them as close to identical as possible. I'm adding a 3-stitch selvage with slip-stitch border for attaching the zipper. i think it should work out nicely. i'm surprised at how enjoyable this sweater is, since generally i am anti allover ribbing. the cabling on this one saves it though. and knitting on US 10.5's aint bad either....

Urban Aran Back


this weekend i went out of town and didn't want to take a big bulky sweater along. since i had just gotten my knitpicks order in the mail, i figured, why not take a small scarf project along for bus knitting etc? and thus a new addiction, ehh, i mean forbes forest was born.

Forbes Forest Progress


and... because a small alottment of rowan cork recently came into my posession... i couldn't resist. [it looks like i have some sort of nasty cabling-bug?]

Log Cabin Socks Progress
log cabin socks from handknit holidays


but this is it. i swear it. its all-finishing-all-the-time from here on out. i need to curb the rabid consumerism that has reared its ugly head. so if you see anything new coming up in the next couple of weeks, scorn me!

maybe i'll do a post to catalog all the WIP's i have laying around to guilt myself into finishing. i really am going to try to focus on these over the next couple of months to get them done.

moving on: i catalogued and reorganized my stash last night. on the one hand, it was helpful and exciting because i found a lot of things lurking that i should really use up soon (and would actually enjoy incorporating into my future projects). on the other hand, it was frustrating because i have a bunch of yarn that was acquired one way or another (most of it, early on in my knitting life) that, at this point, i am positive i'll never have the urge to knit with. i try to tell myself to keep it around for gifts or small scrap projects, but really, its just taking up space. so i dont know what i'll do with that. i could sell it, but i figure, if i dont want it, will any of you?

also, my mom (the knitter!) is coming in for a visit this weekend and i'm planning on taking her on a proper manhattan yarn crawl. cause we all know there are plenty of places to feed the fiber addiction in this city... (this is for her benefit... not mine i assure you)

see you on the flipside
 
Comments:

Because of you I went out and bought the pattern for Urban Aran. I'm going to wait until you finish the front sides before I start. I want to make it a cardigan too. The Forbes Forest is so nice I may have to put that on my to-do list. I finally got my WIP queue under control so I'm trying not to start anything new until I finish what I'm working on. I'm also on a yarn-buying restriction until May although knitpicks is trying to tempt me with the new cotton yarns.

I love those cables! I keep looking at that sock pattern and the wee bit of rowan cork I have...maybe I will make them. I love the urban aran sweater...it looks great. Forbes Forest was so fun to knit...too bad my hubby only wore it once...he even picked out the colour. I'll start wearing it next fall!

You're so funny - "this is it." Hahaha! Also, taking mom on a yarn crawl sounds like a bad idea to me - hand her a subway map and a MetroCard and send her on her way alone! As for yarn acquired early in your career - I hear you loud and clear!!! Right before Christmas I got rid of all my questionable purchases from early on - I sent them to a prison knitting program in South Dakota (I kid you not).

He. OK. Sure. Whatever you say.

Aran and Forbes look great, but I can't stop drooling over that sock. It looks sooo cozy and yummi. Mmm.

First the fair isle and now the cable bug, what next? Oh, but that sock...

I feel the exact same way about most of my stash. It's so frustrating. I desperately need to find a way to get rid of it.

i love cables. i don't know what it is but they're so exciting. i have yarn to make those socks, too. i'll be in nyc this weekend but probably won't be going to any yarn stores. :( hope you and your mom have fun.

Ok, how bizarre we named our latests post with the same headline albeit for different reasons!! I was thinking about buying Handknit Holidays and seeing that sock cinched it for me. My LYS will be seeing me today!

How funny. finish the WIPS is a definite goal of mine. I've got some lingering ones as well. Yarn shopping with mom sounds fun!

Your Forbes Forest looks fantastic..what yarn are you using?

Ah the early knitting days. I have a huge tub full of red heart acrylic (back when I was making afghans). I will never use it but cannot find any use or way to get rid of it. I feel your pain!

That outing with your mom sounds like fun. My mom is also a knitter and I just love going to yarn things with her. Last summer we went to a small fiber festival and had a bash.

Good luck on finishing those projects!

Make sure to take her to Knitty City, on 79th street.It's fun!

I love the green shade of your forbes-- you have very nice taste in color! I'm trying to just knit from my stash too, I have quite a few projects in there that I'm itching to start, but I have quite a few to finish first. I feel your pain!!

Beautiful scarf...that is a gorgeous green. And the log cabin socks are one of my favorites - so cozy and they knit up fast too which is always a plus. :-)

Have you tried the knitty swap board? You'd be amazed at what people are looking for and if you really want it out you can just offer it up for any takers.

j a r e d , would you mind dropping me line on the inf oof the Handknit holiday book, maybe the author or ISBN? Those socks are awesome, and I have to try them.
Thanks!
Post a Comment



<< Home

Back to BT Headquarters
Connect.
My Book.
Original Designs.
Completed Woolies.
Subscribe.
Fresh Thoughts.
Archives.
10.2005 / 11.2005 / 12.2005 / 01.2006 / 02.2006 / 03.2006 / 04.2006 / 05.2006 / 06.2006 / 07.2006 / 08.2006 / 09.2006 / 10.2006 / 11.2006 / 12.2006 / 01.2007 / 02.2007 / 03.2007 / 04.2007 / 05.2007 / 06.2007 / 07.2007 / 08.2007 / 09.2007 / 10.2007 / 11.2007 / 12.2007 / 01.2008 / 02.2008 / 03.2008 / 04.2008 / 05.2008 / 06.2008 / 07.2008 / 08.2008 / 09.2008 / 10.2008 / 11.2008 / 12.2008 / 01.2009 / 02.2009 / 03.2009 / 04.2009 / 05.2009 / 06.2009 / 07.2009 / 08.2009 / 09.2009 / 10.2009 / 11.2009 / 12.2009 / 01.2010 / 02.2010 / 03.2010 / 04.2010 / 05.2010 /



Search The Tweed.
text and photography copyright © 2005-2009 brooklyntweed
all rights reserved