b r o o k l y n t w e e d
4.20.2010
  Romney Kerchief
Shortly after returning from vacation, I completed work on this simple handspun triangle. Since I was shooting to use up every last bit of this special yarn, I waited until I was home again and armed with my trusty kitchen scale to aid in calculations so that every last yard could be enjoyed, stress-free.

Romney Kerchief

It's probably no surprise to anyone, but a simple shape of fabric with a good wool and suitable texture is a recipe for success every single time in my book. Simple knitting allows for the enjoyment of the special characteristics of our materials and I think this might just be one of the things that keeps me devoted to my knitting. One of the many things.

Romney Kerchief

This piece was worked in the standard method, starting with just 10 stitches at center-top and increased regular along both edges as well as the center 'spine' to create a simple triangle. I love working from the top down (from the top 'out' seems more appropriate in this case) when you know you have limited yardage and want to stay in control of your process. By working with with a scale and measuring the remaining grams of unworked yarn remaining, you have good solid numbers telling you when you need to start thinking about binding off. This scenario is almost always better to me than spending the last 20% of the project wondering if there will be enough yarn to get me across the finish line.

Romney Kerchief

The simple stitch pattern is a subtle variation of garter stitch -- knitting, knitting, knitting, and purling every 6th row (or every 3rd RS row) to create a 'valley' in place of every third Garter Stitch Ridge. I think this stitch pattern is beautiful in its simplicity and highlights the diagonal directional fabric in a sweet way. I kept the first and last 3 stitches of each row (the stitches running along the top, flat edge of the triangle) in pure Garter Stitch and ended with 3 consecutive ridges to give a touch of weight to the outer edge of the shape.

Romney Kerchief

I estimate that I used approximately 275 yards of a very light, handspun 2-ply yarn, the weight of which danced around between a DK-weight and a light-worsted weight, as handspun yarns tend to do. I loved the lightness of this yarn and wanted to play that up by knitting it at a looser-than-average gauge and block the finished piece as for lace. The result is a feather-light fabric that is toasty-warm and wooly-soft. Surprisingly soft for a Romney, but that has a lot to do with the amount of air that is trapped in the finished yarn.

Romney Kerchief

The finished dimensions of the piece came out to about 43 inches across the top, flat length of the triangle, and a 21 inch depth at the center 'spine'. Perfect size for a wool-lovers alternative to a bandana, no?

Romney Kerchief

I don't know if I'll ever stop singing the praises of blocking wires -- their precision in making perfectly symmetrical shapes while blocking brings me an unlimited amount of satisfaction. They really play to my inner Geometer. To maximize the blocking potential, I worked a sewn bind-off for as much added elasticity as possible. Traditional bind-offs, when worked along the perimeter of larger pieces that will be blocked severely is a recipe for disaster. The sewn bind off, while taking a bit longer to execute is so absolutely worth the fuss.

Romney Kerchief

Wool-wearing weather is beginning to slowly retreat, but at least this little triangle will provide a graceful (desperate) transition before the official hibernation of my cold-weather wardrobe.
 
Comments:

This is absolutely lovely. And you are right, the simplicity is what gives it its beauty. Thanks for all the tips.

It's beautiful!

So lovely and simple. I may have to try this once I get my spinning up to par. First I need to finish the Pi shawl you inspired me to make! love the blog.

Hi BT! I love your blog (me an everyone else!). You've mentioned a few times the advantages of a nice stretchy sewn bind-off. I'm always wishing for a better, stretchier bind off technique. A little bit of hunting on my part for information about the sewn bind off you mention has yielded no results. Everything I find either refers to sewing two pieces together (love Kitchener and all, but that's not want I want), or using a darning needle to accomplish the exact same bindoff as I usually do with knitting needles (again, not what I want, at least I don't think so). Do you know of some book, website, or person from which I could learn to do the sewn bind off you recommend? I'm guessing I could learn it in one of your classes, but living in Colorado, I'm not thinking that attending one of your classes is a realistic option for me any time soon. :)

Hopefully, Jennifer

It's perfection!

I can't wait to make one too :)

-K

Totally agree about simple knitting. Basics are only as boring as the wearer allows them to be.

Love this piece so, so much -- is there a formal pattern? I just looked on Ravelry, but didn't see anything named Romney Kerchief. I would love to make one!

So gorgeous in its simplicity. Perfect!

Fantastic! Perfect project for a wonderful handspun yarn. I've got a Romney/Rambo x fleece in my stash waiting to become something, this might just be the winner. Thanks!

Jared, your scarf/shawlette is absolutely stunning. Love it! I definitely want to make this.

This is what simplistic beauty looks like.

Absolutely gorgeous

This is lovely!! Will you write it up as a downloadable pattern to add to your store? I would love to purchase a copy!

Simple and so pretty.

Gorgeous... as usual!

I second or three the request for a generic downloadable pattern for this project. I don't understand what you did on top of the triangle.

Thanks for the update on Wool Leaves.

Jared, you gave us all the clues, except the needle size. Suggestions?

so lovely in it's simplicity!

Simple, but absolutely stunning. I love it, as I do everything you knit.

simply stunning!

Instructions for a sewn bindoff are toward the end of this article:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/FEATsum06TT.html

Very lovely. Elegance which couldn't be improved upon.

I think there's instructions for a sewn bind-off (it might have a different title, but that's what it is) in the big Vogue Knitting Book.

We find the beauty in simple thing. I love that shawl. The photographies are very beautiful too!

For the knitters who wants the technique of the sewn bindoff, you have here the E. Zimmermann video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfnavSY2Rug&feature=player_embedded

absolutely lovely...

Your enduring praise of blocking wires has won me over. Is there anything I need to know before purchasing, or are all wires created equal? Thanks!

One more vote for a pattern. I suppose I could work it out, but the details about the increase you used (much nicer than the row of holes that is typical) and weight and needle size? It is so beautiful, in a New England-y sort of way.

bravo!
no longer is the half-a-skein-of-handspun relegated to the odds&ends basket-- who knew it could become this!?

Beautiful. Simple. Perfect. Love it!

I love the simplicity and lines of this shawl. Can you tell me what size needles you chose to use? Can't wait to see a downloadable pattern. Your knitting rocks!
Andi

beautiful. simple. elegant.

Just beautiful...the yarn makes it even more so. Would you be so kind as to post a pattern to Ravelry or make one available to purchase? Thanks so much. I love your blog and looking at all of your new creations.

absolutely stunning!! I love the texture and the simplicity of the lines.

Beautiful! I hate spending a project thinking about my yardage budget. Your posts always inspire me to get working on more ambitious projects :-)

Airy and lovely. Will there be a pattern? Or Maybe I could be brave and try w/ the instrux in your blog entry. Thanks, Jared.

I thoroughly enjoy how the gentleness of the design sweetly compliments the colours of the yarn.

I leave on a trip in two days...any chance of getting the patter to take with me? It would make a most wonderful traveling project.

I have tried it on my own, and I think my only problem is the beginning. When I start with 10 stitches and follow the blog instructions, there is a little dip in the middle of the top, flat straight edge from those 10 stitches. any chance you could let us know how to begin this gem?

Many thanks

Really gorgeous. I love the natural simplicity of your designs - you show off beautiful yarns and fabulous textures to perfection.

That scarf is utterly gorgeous in its simplicity. Thank you for sharing the pattern... I have some lovely (won in a raffle) handspun that might work well for this project.

And as if by magic, I have 240 yards of DK to worsted weight merino that I spun this week, begging to be knit up.
Gonna swatch n go"

Beautiful! I'm wondering what the front looks like after the corners of the fabric are tied together in a knot? I guess that the fabric must be really drapey, but does it stretch out the fabric to tie it in a knot?

Please write up the pattern so I can understand how you worked the triangle. I love it, and I have some gorgeous yarn that so wants to be knitted up into this ... please!

Perfect. Just perfect.

I love how such a simple pattern has such a gorgeous outcome. Beautiful!

As a brand new spinner, these are the kinds of ideas I am hunting for to use my limited lengths of handspun. Thanks!

cosmic pluto.com has a pattern for this shawl called "simple but effective shawl" for those of you who want instructions.

There's just something about that golden ratio which works every time -- especially with knitting. Not to mention that lovely yarn!

This is just the perfect little project.

Love this pattern-exactly what I have been looking for. Can't wait for the pattern. I am just finishing up 2 of the wooleaves blankets for my 2 grandsons-they live in the Adirondacks & these are perfect for the daily stroller rides with their Mom. Thanks for all your great designs-I'm a fan!

Here's a free Stephen West pattern - almost identical- easy to tweak...(this yarn is far superior though :-)

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/boneyard-shawl#

Any chance you are going to post this as a purchase pattern?

Two quesions, Jared. Did you soak the scarf before blocking with the wires?

And for the center 'spine' is it an increase on either side of the center stich in addition to the increases on the sides? Really love the texture and hope to make on very soon. Many thanks

I would dearly love a pattern for this, its absolutely gorgeous.

Please provide a pattern for us beginners. I was already to purchase one but it was not available.

if anyone is interested, i've written a sort of pattern for this on my blog. i think it's pretty true to the original. jared, let me know if this isn't kosher and i'll take it down. but for those of you that wanted pattern specifics, here it is:

http://foolishsparrow.blogspot.com/2010/05/spring-chickens-and-magic-scarf.html

just scroll past the stuff about me.

Could you blog about how to use a scale in yarn calculations? Thank you!

Thank you for this. I am working on a very involved project which I had previously thought would be lace. I suck at lace. It takes too much thought. So I had decided to do a Hemlock Ring blanket instead. But am not sure I will end up with enough yarn. This? Will be an absolutely perfect alternative if I don't have enough for the Hemlock Ring blanket.

This is beautiful. Can I purchase the Romney pattern somewhere?

Pretty insightful post. I never thought it was this straightforward after all. I'd spent a lot of time looking for anyone to explain this topic clearly and you're the only one that ever did that.

Trying to understand how to read the chart DOnt understand the left to right??? HAVe never used a chart before
Post a Comment



<< Home

Back to BT Headquarters
Connect.
My Book.
Original Designs.
Completed Woolies.
Subscribe.
Fresh Thoughts.
Archives.
10.2005 / 11.2005 / 12.2005 / 01.2006 / 02.2006 / 03.2006 / 04.2006 / 05.2006 / 06.2006 / 07.2006 / 08.2006 / 09.2006 / 10.2006 / 11.2006 / 12.2006 / 01.2007 / 02.2007 / 03.2007 / 04.2007 / 05.2007 / 06.2007 / 07.2007 / 08.2007 / 09.2007 / 10.2007 / 11.2007 / 12.2007 / 01.2008 / 02.2008 / 03.2008 / 04.2008 / 05.2008 / 06.2008 / 07.2008 / 08.2008 / 09.2008 / 10.2008 / 11.2008 / 12.2008 / 01.2009 / 02.2009 / 03.2009 / 04.2009 / 05.2009 / 06.2009 / 07.2009 / 08.2009 / 09.2009 / 10.2009 / 11.2009 / 12.2009 / 01.2010 / 02.2010 / 03.2010 / 04.2010 / 05.2010 /



Search The Tweed.
text and photography copyright © 2005-2009 brooklyntweed
all rights reserved